A basic sponge recipe from the BBC Food site.
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ lemon, zested
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g self-raising flour
- splash of milk
- Heat oven to 160C fan.
- Line the base of two 20cm cake tins.
- Beat the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time and whisk well.
- Add the lemon zest, vanilla, flour, milk and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk until just combined then divide the mixture between the two tins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 mins until a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean.
- After 10 mins, remove the cakes from their tins and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Fill how you like.